You see them all the time — over-the-counter (OTC) teeth whitening kits are sold in every grocery and drug store. From whitening strips and toothpaste to treatments that rely on stronger chemicals, there is a very diverse line of products to choose from. These products are incredibly popular, yet they don’t provide you with the same results as professional teeth whitening. Patients in the Devonshire, Bermuda area looking to get whiter teeth will achieve dazzling results when choosing Positive Image Dental. At our practice, Drs. Ian Campbell, Christopher Allington, and Lara Loescher provide safe and effective teeth whitening treatments.
One big drawback of choosing OTC whitening kits is that you miss out on professional guidance. The packaging may promise whiter teeth in just 4 to 14 days, but there are particular risks in choosing a treatment that doesn’t involve getting a professional opinion.
When carrying out whitening treatments on your own, it is easy to overuse the bleaching agents in hopes that you will get better results. The truth is that these OTC products can only be effective to an extent as they are not professional-grade. Overusing bleaching agents can lead to increased tooth sensitivity, worn enamel, decay, and other issues. If you are seeking brilliant results, reach out to your dentist for a whitening treatment.
Bleaching kits from your local store offer a one-size-fits-all treatment, so the whitening trays that come with it are not custom-fitted for your mouth. As a result, your gums could become victims of burns from bleaching agents. When you go in for a professional treatment, dental impressions are taken to create trays that fit snugly in your mouth to ensure the whitening gel is delivered uniformly over your teeth, preventing gum burns.
While a much smaller risk exists, you could have an allergic reaction to the bleaching agents used in OTC kits. Reports of swollen lips, blisters, and more have been made after using these products. Even if you choose to go for an OTC treatment, reaching out to your dentist for guidance will help minimize any risks.